Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father Knows Best

Hey Peeps!!
Okay so this is a post that is probably mone of the more difficult posts to write.
After watching OWN's new show Ryan and Tatum: the O'Neals, it made me think about a lot of stuff...
Because today is also Father's Day, I've been thinking about the relationship between my dad and I.
I don't like talking about my relationship with my dad for two reasons.
1. It's painful. I hate talking about it because it-plain and simple- it just hurts too much. I hate feeling the tense distance between us. I guess it pisses me off that after so many years, here we are...still where we were when we drifted apart when I was 16.
2. I hate admitting it. I feel like the most ungrateful, selfish bitch in the world when I say this. It's like in my head, if I just give into the friction, then it's like nothing is wrong. I know that sounds horrible and I wish I could say that I really don't feel this way.
But back to the point of this blog.
As I was watching Ryan and Tatum interact with each other, and I'll admit that I was sitting on the couch in my parents' living room crying my eyes out...but as I watched them interact...I saw myself and my dad. I was Tatum who so badly wanted to reconcile with Ryan and my dad, of course, was Ryan. I never thought I would see the day when a reality show..never mind the fact that a reality show on Oprah Winfrey's network that makes choking a puppy seem more appealing and less sinful than watching what this money-hungry catatonic social-climbing leech on society has to offer the world...but I digress..back to the point of the matter. It brought tears to my eyes to see how much I was like Tatum in the aspect of how she interacted with Ryan. She also raised up some good points about how much time there would be to reconcile differences. Even as I write this in the quiet of my parents' house and with the musical stylings of Lady GaGa for background noise to keep me awake long enough to finish this and to type up a speech I have to give at noon..which is about 10 or 11 hours from now...again, I digress. Hahaha.
Okay so...now that I've rambled enough for about 10 blog postings to come..
The point was raised that we never know how much time we're given on this earth and it is so imperative that we make the moments we're given count. Life is too short to be fighting like this.
Ironically today happened to be Father's Day.
I don't really do the whole "pour out my deep feelings in my Facebook status" thing.
The posting that comes after this will be a letter to my dad that I may or may not post to my Facebook profile.
So that's it for this edition of the World According to Sarah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment